Room Decorating is Easy with the Perfect Ottoman
6 Room Decorating Tips for Choosing the Right Ottoman
Gone are the days of the ottoman being a rectangular bulk at the end of the sofa. Today, the ottoman is a modern, artistic display of personality and creativity that can liven up any space. The ottoman has also found a place in rooms other than the living room, including the bedroom, office, and children’s rooms. If you need help finding the perfect ottoman, read on for our room decorating tips for choosing the right ottoman!
- Know your Use. Ottomans have many functions in design today, including as a table, a foot rest, or additional seating. Knowing what functions you want the ottoman to serve is the first step to choosing the right one for your space.
- Be Creative. Since ottomans are considered an accessory to larger furniture, you have room to be creative and expressive in the design you choose. Do not be afraid to choose a bold color, pattern, or embellished trim.
- Matching is Overrated. While it is common for ottomans to be sold as a set with a matching chair, deviate from the norm and choose an ottoman that stands out as its own element to the space. Choosing an ottoman that has a little contrast to the furniture in the room will add personality to the space.
- Think Durable. Ottomans are designed to be functional and durable. Remember to consider the use of the ottoman when choosing a fabric. If people will be sitting or propping their feet on it, a durable, washable fabric is preferable to a delicate fabric. Leather, microsuede, cotton, and outdoor fabrics are excellent choices for durability.
- Space Savers. If you need extra storage space in your living room or bedroom, choose an ottoman that doubles as a storage chest. Ottomans with storage are excellent for storing magazines, toys, or extra blankets. Hinged or removable tops make storage ottomans an excellent alternative for busy spaces.
- Poufs are Perfect. Imagine a combination between an ottoman and a beanbag chair and you have the pouf. Poufs are ottomans that are squishy, comfortable, and very design-friendly. Poufs generally measure just over one foot in height, and can range in diameter. For the perfect pouf, choose a bright embroidered pouf or a chunky pattern that will stand out. Poufs are flexible and can be tossed, stacked, and easily moved between rooms.
Room decorating can be fun when you have the perfect balance of design and creativity. Use these six tips for choosing the perfect ottoman to decorate or stage the perfect room.
What Our Clients Say
“Your virtual staging product is sensational! The efficiency condo I had listed was in a community of 60+ units for sale and had no offers. After posting the 3 virtually staged photos of my unit, I got an offer within 5 days and beat out all the competing units listed in the same price range. Thanks for a great job!”
SUE MILLER, Realtor | Re/Max of Naperville – Illinois
“You all did a phenomenal job on these virtual staging photos! Really, I can’t say enough how much I love them. They are absolutely stunning and my clients are thrilled!”
SHEILA SALVITTI, Agent | Coldwell Banker Premier Properties – Pennsylvania
“My vacant property listing sat for about 3 weeks on the market and after posting the virtual photos by Virtually Staging Properties, I saw a 50% increase in buyer traffic and we got an offer just 1 day later. The buyer’s agent thought virtual staging was a great idea and was going to consider using it for their vacant listings.”
TARIQ THOMAS, Agent | Thomas Holding Group – Pennsylvania
“I was thrilled with our virtual photos cause we got an offer just 5 days after posting the photos online!”
PEGGY RYAN-LANIGAN, Realtor | Lyon Real Estate – California
“We list all our vacant properties with virtually staged photos by VSP and we always get a contract within the first 2 -4 weeks after posting the listing along with the photos online. Other agents comment on our virtual photos and we have referred numerous agents to you all because of the success we have had with your company! “