Room Decorating is Easy with the Perfect Ottoman
6 Room Decorating Tips for Choosing the Right Ottoman
Gone are the days of the ottoman being a rectangular bulk at the end of the sofa. Today, the ottoman is a modern, artistic display of personality and creativity that can liven up any space. The ottoman has also found a place in rooms other than the living room, including the bedroom, office, and children’s rooms. If you need help finding the perfect ottoman, read on for our room decorating tips for choosing the right ottoman!
- Know your Use. Ottomans have many functions in design today, including as a table, a foot rest, or additional seating. Knowing what functions you want the ottoman to serve is the first step to choosing the right one for your space.
- Be Creative. Since ottomans are considered an accessory to larger furniture, you have room to be creative and expressive in the design you choose. Do not be afraid to choose a bold color, pattern, or embellished trim.
- Matching is Overrated. While it is common for ottomans to be sold as a set with a matching chair, deviate from the norm and choose an ottoman that stands out as its own element to the space. Choosing an ottoman that has a little contrast to the furniture in the room will add personality to the space.
- Think Durable. Ottomans are designed to be functional and durable. Remember to consider the use of the ottoman when choosing a fabric. If people will be sitting or propping their feet on it, a durable, washable fabric is preferable to a delicate fabric. Leather, microsuede, cotton, and outdoor fabrics are excellent choices for durability.
- Space Savers. If you need extra storage space in your living room or bedroom, choose an ottoman that doubles as a storage chest. Ottomans with storage are excellent for storing magazines, toys, or extra blankets. Hinged or removable tops make storage ottomans an excellent alternative for busy spaces.
- Poufs are Perfect. Imagine a combination between an ottoman and a beanbag chair and you have the pouf. Poufs are ottomans that are squishy, comfortable, and very design-friendly. Poufs generally measure just over one foot in height, and can range in diameter. For the perfect pouf, choose a bright embroidered pouf or a chunky pattern that will stand out. Poufs are flexible and can be tossed, stacked, and easily moved between rooms.
Room decorating can be fun when you have the perfect balance of design and creativity. Use these six tips for choosing the perfect ottoman to decorate or stage the perfect room.
What Our Clients Say
“Love the photos! I will be your most devoted client! Thank You!!!”
PAMELA BELLLAH, Managing Broker | John L. Scott Real Estate – Washington
“We received 2 offers in less than a week and a half. The property was listed with vacant photos for over 220 days on the market with no offers. Many buyers passed on the house but after posting the virtual photos, they changed their minds and we definitely saw an increase in buyer traffic!”
TRISH BRADLEY, Agent | Rutledge Properties – Massachusettes
“Virtually Staging Properties offers a phenomenal service! I have listings that have little to no furnishings and need to be brought to life and VSP does just that. My clients love the product and my virtual photos get wonderful internet exposure. I have sold every virtually staged home by VSP faster and will recommend the service to my Realtor colleagues. Thank You!!”
IRINA BABB, Realtor | Re/Max Allegiance – Virginia
“We list all our vacant properties with virtually staged photos by VSP and we always get a contract within the first 2 -4 weeks after posting the listing along with the photos online. Other agents comment on our virtual photos and we have referred numerous agents to you all because of the success we have had with your company! “
CYNDI OHRT, Realtor | Keller Williams Realty – Virginia
“Our vacant property was listed for sale with no offers for over 90 days and after virtual staging of the photos took place, we instantly saw an increase in buyer traffic and got an offer in less than 4 weeks. The buyers liked the photos which helped them with decorating ideas for the home.”