7 Ways to Style a Fireplace Mantel
Find the Right Home Staging Mix for Your Mantel Display
A mantel or fireplace can be the focal point of any room. During home staging, it can be difficult to find the right balance between enhancing the focal point and overcrowding it. The right mantel display can add color, texture, and eye-catching design to a space without drawing away from the natural beauty of the home. Here are our 7 best tips for styling a mantel during the home staging process:
1. Rule of Three. For the most aesthetically pleasing look, group objects in sets of three. Examples include three different size vases, candles, or complementary items.
2. Less is More. If you are creating a statement wall around a mantel, add one large piece of vibrant artwork that accents the rest of the colors in the room. This will create an uncluttered, vibrant aesthetic for the space.
3. Balance. To create a divided yet cohesive look, place a large piece of art or a mirror above the mantel and frame any or all sides with smaller accessory pieces. To do this, center one piece and imagine a vertical or horizontal line through the middle.
4. Visual Aesthetic. Place a large mirror on the mantel, or hang it close to the mantel as a backdrop. Place items in front of the mirror to add depth.
5. Avoid the Black Hole. When a fireplace is not in use, it can look a bit like a black hole in an otherwise aesthetically pleasing room. Avoid the black hole by staging a fireplace with large vases, a selection of pillar candles, or well maintained birch logs.
6. Avoid the Nails. Instead of pulling out the power tools and wall anchors to hang photos or artwork, place photos, artwork, or mirrors on the mantel leaning against the wall. A selection of two or three complementary framed pieces can result in a very pleasing display.
7. Add some Color. Neutral rooms need color. Use the mantel as a way to add a splash of color by placing a bouquet of colorful flowers. Vibrant oranges and reds can bring a bright pop of fresh color to any neutral space.
Use these styling tips during the home staging process to take any fireplace mantel from plain to fantastic. Styling a fireplace mantel is a great way to add color and personality to any room, and is a great tool for physical or virtual home staging.
What Our Clients Say
“We received 2 offers in less than a week and a half. The property was listed with vacant photos for over 220 days on the market with no offers. Many buyers passed on the house but after posting the virtual photos, they changed their minds and we definitely saw an increase in buyer traffic!”
TRISH BRADLEY, Agent | Rutledge Properties – Massachusettes
“The unfurnished townhome we had listed had been on the market for 4 months until we decided to engage in virtual staging. I had the townhome professionally photographed and then had the photos virtually staged and they were so realistic. We had a binding contract within 2 weeks after posting the virtual photos!”
ERIC BROOKS, Realtor | Wydler Brooks Real Estate – Virginia
“Love the photos! I will be your most devoted client! Thank You!!!”
PAMELA BELLLAH, Managing Broker | John L. Scott Real Estate – Washington
“Our vacant property was listed for sale with no offers for over 90 days and after virtual staging of the photos took place, we instantly saw an increase in buyer traffic and got an offer in less than 4 weeks. The buyers liked the photos which helped them with decorating ideas for the home.”
JEANNIE THOMPSON, Agent | Long & Foster – Virginia
“My vacant property listing sat for about 3 weeks on the market and after posting the virtual photos by Virtually Staging Properties, I saw a 50% increase in buyer traffic and we got an offer just 1 day later. The buyer’s agent thought virtual staging was a great idea and was going to consider using it for their vacant listings.”