Home Decor Ideas: Choosing the Perfect Side Table
Five Tips for Side Table Home Decor Ideas
Gone are the days of the side table’s only purpose being to flank the sofa and love seat. Today, decorating with side tables has taken on a fun, creative vibe that can be used in any space for multiple purposes. The key to a perfectly placed side table is finding the right one to match any room decorating ideas.
1. Quantity. The first step to choosing the right side table is determining how many are needed in the space. For large rooms with multiple sofas and chairs, an extra table for entertaining may be needed. For smaller spaces, keep it simple and uncluttered with the minimum number of side tables that will be functional. If more than two side tables are needed, choose two sets of two that complement one another but are not identical to break up the design.
2. Design. The design of the perfect side table will match the tone of the space. For a contemporary design, choose unconventional shapes and bold contrasting colors. For a sleek, classic look, choose wood tables with elegant legs and a smooth finish. Because side tables are an accessory to any space, bold contrasts or patterned finishes offer fun, eye-catching room additions.
3. Surface. Along with the design, the surface of side tables is important to room cohesion. For a table that is suitable for drinks and entertaining, choose a metal top or a glass top table. For storage and decorations, wood and finished tables are a good choice. For magazine and blanket storage, don’t shy away from fabric covered or upholstered tables.
4. Size. The size and height of the side table you are considering is critical to a successful choice. Always record the dimensions of the space as well as the furnishings to be sure that the side tables will fit in their intended location.
5. The Space. The space that you are decorating will be a critical component of choosing the right side table. If you have bold-patterned furnishings, a simple, neutral side table will not make the room look “busy”. If the furnishings are more minimalist, choose a side table that has detailing, color, or mixed textures to add variety.
While any side table can serve a purpose, the right side table can provide an element of charm, fun, and creativity to any space. With these easy home decor ideas, the right side table can also help highlight the overall functionality and personality of a space.
What Our Clients Say
“You all did a phenomenal job on these virtual staging photos! Really, I can’t say enough how much I love them. They are absolutely stunning and my clients are thrilled!”
SHEILA SALVITTI, Agent | Coldwell Banker Premier Properties – Pennsylvania
“The photos were beautiful and certainly gave life to my vacant listing and within the first week after posting the photos and the listing online, we got 4 offers and a full price offer was accepted. Thank You!”
ANNMARIE DEL FRANCO, Agent | Blackstone Properties of CT – Connecticut
“We list all our vacant properties with virtually staged photos by VSP and we always get a contract within the first 2 -4 weeks after posting the listing along with the photos online. Other agents comment on our virtual photos and we have referred numerous agents to you all because of the success we have had with your company! “
CYNDI OHRT, Realtor | Keller Williams Realty – Virginia
“I was thrilled with our virtual photos cause we got an offer just 5 days after posting the photos online!”
PEGGY RYAN-LANIGAN, Realtor | Lyon Real Estate – California
“We received 2 offers in less than a week and a half. The property was listed with vacant photos for over 220 days on the market with no offers. Many buyers passed on the house but after posting the virtual photos, they changed their minds and we definitely saw an increase in buyer traffic!”